Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Monday

Monday was back in the hospital. In the morning I was in the Emergency room passing out milk to children. In the afternoon, things got pretty heavy. And hard. There are times when it’s o.k. to cry, and monday was one of those days. There was a girl, Jennifer, who on the first day was smiling and coloring with us. On this day she was hooked up to machines and the doctors told us they were waiting for her to pass away. We had some very powerful prayers with her parents. I don’t know what it feels like to have a child, but on this day I was able to share in the sadness and pain Jenny’s parents were feeling. It hit KC, Jessica, and I pretty hard and we were all crying with them. I think in a weird way, it’s a beautiful thing to be able to share one’s pain. Like you are a part of something bigger than yourself. There were some other kids in the hospital that were in pretty bad conditions, as well. I think I have a picture of one of them.

Also, a boy Jeyson came with us to pray for Jenny. It wasn’t until later that Leah told me he needs a heart transplant but can’t afford one so he is going home tomorrow. This once again made me cry. The fact that he put aside his own problems to help us pray for Jenny is absolutely beautiful, but it also frustrates me that he can’t get the medical attention he needs because of money issues.

This day in general was hard. A lot of the team has been getting sick and practically everyone has had a fever or some sort of ailment. Luckily so far I’ve been well (even though I’ve been taking risks and eating some salads.)

IMG_0478 IMG_0479 IMG_0480 IMG_0481 IMG_0482 IMG_0483   IMG_0486

We also passed out beanies today. The girl on the right is 4 months old and apparently fought for her life for most of that time.

IMG_0487

 

 

A picture from the cancer wing.

IMG_0488

Jeyson

That’s Jeyson on the left in the white t-shirt. He is the sweetest child and I’m going to miss seeing him at the hospital.

3 comments:

  1. So how much does it cost for a heart transplant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll ask the nurse tomorrow. I'm going to upload a picture of Jeyson on the page....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got more info. Apparently the resources just aren't there, as in they can't get him a heart in Honduras...
    :(

    ReplyDelete